Temple Israel has a rich history that began in 1966. Since its founding, Temple Israel has established for itself a significant niche in the Ottawa Jewish Community. We are the standard bearer of Liberal Judaism in the nation’s capital.
The Congregation can look back with satisfaction on its growth from a small group, meeting for Friday evening worship services on the premises of the old Montefiore club, to an active and vital congregation of over 385 families with a building of its own and ambitious plans for the future.
Visit our About Us section to learn more about Temple Israel and who we are.
Some Significant Dates In Our History
(The Kotel) and the four sections represent the four main festivals in Judaism, from right to left:
- Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur with the Torah scrolls
- Shabbat table – with the stained glass Mogen David window
- Simchat Torah, dancing with the torah – with the Ner Tamid (everlasting light)
- Pesach (Passover) – with the Temple Israel tree of life
- All around are squares done individually by the children of the religious school