- This October marks the beginning of Temple Israel’s 50th Anniversary Year, which will continue through until the fall of 2017. The 50th Anniversary Working and Steering Groups have been hard at work assembling a slate of activities.
The co-chairs want to say a big Toda Raba to everyone in the Working and Steering groups who have given their time and energy to help make this happen.
Now we need your help in realizing these exciting plans. We are operating within a very limited budget and would welcome sponsorship of any of these events. Let’s make this year a success!
Fiftieth (50th) Anniversary Activities
Temple Israel Reflections
Reflections on the 50th Anniversary of Temple Israel.
50th Anniversary Photos
This section will grow as the celebrations continue. Check it out!
50th Anniversary Kippot
They’re here! Beautiful royal blue micro-suede Kippot have arrived to recognize our 50th Anniversary Year. The silver engraving reads: “Temple Israel Ottawa celebrating 50 Years”. Kippot are available for sale through the Temple and TIRS (School) offices. $10 each or 2 for $18 or 3 for $25.
Fiftieth (50th) Fun Facts
How much do you know about Temple?
Check out our Temple Israel Fun Facts…weekly facts about Temple and its history. Tell your family and friends!
Baby Quilts project to make 50 baby quilts for Israel
LOOKING for people of all ages who want to get involved in a small-ish way in the 50th anniversary. Bring a loonie. Design a square. The more the merrier, as they say.
Squares will be sewn together to make 50 baby quilts throughout the year. How many are needed? 13-25 squares per quilt…That’s 1000 squares!! So we really need everyone’s input!! Each quilt will be labelled with the 50th anniversary logo.
During HHD 2017, they will all be displayed, and then taken to Israel for use in families with babies. NO experience needed. Just some of your time.
The Bayit, 1295 Prince of Wales Drive (Little House beside Temple Israel)
RSVP to book a time with the ‘workers’ email@example.com
This is an on-going project throughout the 50th year. If you cannot make those dates, email and we can discuss alternate times.
Temple Israel 50th Anniversary Panel Series
“Thinking about social action: the next 50 years”, a panel speaker series was held on December 12, 2016. Our first topic: “Jewish Perspectives on Climate Change”.
Our next in the series is June 4, 2017, 9.30 to 12.30 – “The Aging Rebel: Retaining Your Power” Mini-Conference at Temple Israel. More information
Concert by Josh Dolgin (aka socalled) – kickoff to Temple’s 50th Anniversary year
Saturday night live at Temple Israel, October 15, 2016 – commencing the celebration of our 50th Anniversary with a concert by TI’s own Klezmer and Yiddish recording artist Josh Dolgin, aka socalled. The evening began with havdalah with some of our youth and then the sold out concert hosted by CBC radio personalities Alan Neal and Laurence Wall.
More about Josh
Hear Josh Dolgin on CBC’s Q
Our list includes other festivities and special activities. Details will be provided in future Bulletins, weekly emails, social media and on the website.
- Temple’s Got Talent: There will be an artisan fair and tearoom April 30, 2017 to showcase Temple’s arts community, and on another date, a Temple’s Got Talent Authors event.
- Reunion Choir: Current and former choir members will reunite on May 13, 2017 to sing at a Shabbat service.
- Monthly Temple Lay Leaders’ Memories Shabbats.
- Ethnic Shabbat Potluck Dinners to celebrate Temple’s diverse congregation.
- High-profile speakers from the national political scene and the Jewish community.
- Special Yiskor Service: April 17, 2017, the 7th day of Pesach, will focus on Temple’s founders and early members.
- A presentation to the Jewish community: “Science as a Bridge to Peace”. Speaker: Zafra Lerman, Malta Conference, Saturday evening, January 7, 2017. Thank you to our sponsor!
- Temple Israel Religious School and FROSTY events include 50 Random Acts of Kindness, FROSTY Alumnae Homecoming Shul-in in May, and FROSTY Regional Event in March.
- Discovering Temple Judaica: Creation of a memorial book documenting Temple Judaica.
- There will be a “Special Shabbat Service for the 50th in the fall, date to be determined.
Please consult the calendar for the latest information and further details.
The committee welcomes sponsorship of any of the 50th anniversary events. Please contact Pat Dunphy or Margot Montgomery, 50th Anniversary Co-chairs, for details at firstname.lastname@example.org.